Friday 25 June 2010


Hmmm remembering the pain from the last 24hr solo I questioned for a moment why I was doing another one but then it came to me...I liked the pain. There is no logical reason to ride this sort of thing other than to try and beat other silly people who also think it's a good idea and too really push the boundaries to try and find your limits, the ultimate test of endurance-why else?
If your really short like me then a running start is never good especially in spd's. I started on the front of the line and managed to stay in the top quarter as we mounted our bikes. First lap craziness followed and I really had to reign myself in and remember this is a long game. After a few laps I found my pace and started to focus on getting the fluids and fuel in.
This course seemed to have a fair amount of climbing some of it quite steep, it was really dry for the majority of it even some dust. Braking bumps were giving my arms a beating but I guess with this amount of traffic braking bumps are inevitable
I was looking forward to the night it brings an air of dread to most but I really like the complete feeling of solitude and you have to get your skills perfect, no room for errors in the darkness. Not forgetting the amazing sunset it reminds me why I love to ride.
As dawn broke early, around 4am, realising you have 10hrs left is quite grim but I got my head down and rode through it and it hurt, a lot!The last few laps required some stern words to myself and just to keep moving was becoming quite an effort.
Carla and I finished together and for once I was happy to stop pedalling. Would I do it again? Hell yeah!!


No comments:

Post a Comment